Monday, August 10, 2009

MCUDL A-League Finals, Game 1

A re-match of the last 2 years, A-League finals pits Big Stick against Roots of Rhythm. I gotta say, I was exhausted for this game after a few days of fatherhood and the resultant lack of sleep. Notwithstanding, Stick played well and managed to stay a break up for the entire game. That is until 15-14 when we stalled and Roots surged and ended up stealing the game in OT 17-15.

Huge apologies to Matt Bode, whom I crushed on a poorly executed layout bid on an in-cut. On a relatively tight pass, I keyed on the thrower and layed out as the disc was released. Unfortunately, the throw was behind Bode, who quickly cut back to make the catch. Not anticipating his change of direction, I was already committed and airborne and speared him square in the back. A very bad play on my part that I should be experienced enough to avoid. I know he hurt his shoulder pretty badly, but being the warrior he his, he was back on the pitch playing hard in a point or two.

Game 2 of the 3-game series is Wednesday night. Hopefully, we'll have a few more of our big guns out there, and maybe I'll grab a little nap beforehand.

No comments: