Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fly Fishing


After a couple of weeks of practicing in the driveway and backyard, I finally got a chance to get out on the stream and try my skills.  Since we had a full day of working on the house planned, I woke up at 5AM and was on the stream by 5:30AM.  It ended up being a beautiful morning.

I spent the first hour or so fishing a deep hole that I know has quite a few trout in it.  I started out with a Wooly Bugger that I thought would be promising and then moved on to some nymphs.  I really don't know how to fish those properly so I'm guessing that's why I had no luck there.  Either way, I was mainly there to practice casting.

From there I switched to dry flies.  I managed to lose two in a tree across the pool in pretty short order and was feeling pretty dejected.  At the point, I switched to a larger fly, which I have since learned is a Muddler Minnow.  I fished it as a dry fly, casting it up stream and letting it drift with the current.  A few yards upstream from the deep pool, I hooked my first brown trout while fly fishing in about 12" of water.  She was about 12" and put up a pretty good fight, mostly considering a fly pole is so flimsy and the drag on the reel was so loose, but I landed her successfully and she's now cleaned and in my freezer waiting for a few more to make a meal.

After that I continued to work my way upstream but the sun was out on the water at the point and I didn't get any more bites.  I didn't even see any fish rising at that point, so I climbed up the bank and headed home.  All in all, I got 3 solid hours of fishing in and got home just as everyone was getting their things in order for the day.

No comments: