Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ping Pong

There were only three of us out tonight, which meant lots of drills. Again, this is exactly what I need and enjoy; perfecting technique through repetition in controlled situations. For me, it's all about learning proper form right now. I need to re-learn everything from proper grip, to arm swing, and footwork.

From experience with other sports, I know how essential this stuff is and I love that I get to work with a real coach and get some immediate feedback. Anyone who's been a student of Ultimate and done without can appreciate how valuable someone like that can be. And I absolutely love learning the strategies behind the game. Not to mention that ping pong, when played with proper form and footwork, is definitely an aerobic activity. Nothing compared to ultimate, but you spend the entire time in a squat position, quickly shuffling from form to form. It's definitely enough to get a sweat going.

I spent much of my time drilling on my forehand loop, underspin serves, and the backhand block. My biggest challenge right now is the footwork. I need to get out of the Ultimate-based, pivot foot mind-set and work to move and set up each shot. Everything comes from the legs and proper weight transfer; spin, accuracy, and power all originate from the lower body. I have my moments where I get it right and the ball effortlessly explodes off of my paddle, but those moments are too few and far between. Still, I'm already twice the player I was 3 weeks ago.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how long before you layout to cover a shot to the far corner? We all know those arms won't cover that distance!
9

Anonymous said...

as a frisbee player & a rec ping pong player, i'm really jealous of your time spent practicing w/ experienced players.