Tuesday, March 17, 2009

There and Back Again: A Runner's Tale

After a dusty morning spent spackling and sanding, I decided to celebrate this beautiful St. Patty's Day by going for a run. Since I hate running for any extended period of time, I've developed a strategy to keep me out there longer. Quite simply, I run away from my front door in a straight line until I am sick of running and ready to quit, then, I turn around and run home. I added 'downhill' and 'down-wind' to my outbound jog today and, since I found myself in 'the Gutter', I sought out the infamous hill Jake and Ariel used to use for repeats and ran a few hill sprints of my own.

About 8 minutes into my run, I found a nice hill at 8th Ave in Highland Park and ran 5 repeats. It took a little less than 30 seconds to get up and about 40 to jog back down (NB - never stopped running). After the 5th, I continued on my way until I came across another, steeper hill on 6th Avenue which I sprinted up once before turning for home. All told, the run last just over 31 minutes there and back again.

No comments: