Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nice Kicks!

I opted to eschew the gym today and instead went in search of some new footwear. About a mile uptown, practically in the East River is a great little mom n' pop soccer shop called Doss Soccer Supply that I like to patronize. The folks are nice and helpful and, while they don't have a huge selection, they always carry a variety of nice higher end cleats that you'll never see in a Dicks or Modells.

After much deliberation, I rolled the dice and bought my first-ever Nike cleats in lieu of ye olde Puma Kings. They're garish to the point of ridiculousness, but extremely comfortable and light _and_ they seem to have the added feature of not aggravating my plantar fasciitis. Plus, I like the cleat configuration. That said, I'm not sure I'm good enough to wear these cleats:

3 comments:

phil knight said...

i have to say, a big part of the dono mystique is your non-flashyness.

picture 2 players walking by a field where j's playing:

player 1: "hey, i heard j dono was playing in this game."
player 2: "yeah, i think that's him."
player 1: "really? i thought he was taller."

they watch this guy who's very unassuming, quiet, average height, below average wingspan, and rocking traditionalist diadoras, kelmes, pumas, whatever... and all of sudden, j does what j do.

player 1 and 2: "HOLY SHIT! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!"

now, it'll be:

player 1: "i heard j dono was playing over on this field."
player 2: "yeah, he's the douchebag in the neon cleats covering kobe bryant. kobe's not playing that well though."

-89 said...

Man, the first in what I assume will be a long line of well-deserved heckling and I haven't even stepped on a field yet! Ouch!

Anonymous said...

Hate to say this but---- Straw would be proud of those kicks.

9