Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sectionals, Day 2

After a nice first round bye, we started the day off with two final pool play games against the 11th and 14th seeds (I think) before the final against Slow White.  After losing to our crosstown rivals twice at Chesapeake, we were eager for some revenge.  And so we came out and promptly got scored on and broken to go down 2-0.  After that initial hiccough, the O steadied and we traded points until 6-4, at which point, our defensive pressure started opening up some cracks.

We battled back to tie the game 7-7 and proceeded to score 3 straight goals (called back for offensive foul, pick, offensive foul), before finally scoring one that counted to take half 8-7.  The sequence to end the half seemed to shake Slow White and from there, it was all Ghosts.  We went on a 10-3 run and took the game 14-9.

On a personal note, I played much better this time around and felt stronger, faster and more agile, but though my footwork is improving, that first layout catch-block still managed to elude me.  I felt like I was in position a couple of times but didn't pull the trigger fast enough and missed the opportunity.  Somewhat surprisingly, O seems to have come back much more easily.  I felt confident cutting down-field as well as handling on occasion for the D line.  Top gear is also still not where I'd like it.  I had a few full field sprints with cutters and while I felt I should be able to blow past them with ease, it was a struggle to stay even.  I'm not sure how much of that is physical and how much of that is a reluctance to open it up.  Either way, there will be lots of sprint and agility work in my future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you give a brief bio of the ghosts? Who is on the team and how did you end up there?