Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Terminus

Game time on Sunday morning found Pike with 3 guys anxiously pacing the sideline and hoping for their teammates to appear. We did finally get our full roster of 8, but not until after our opponents assessed a point on us. Harsh!

The weather wasn't much warmer this morning, but the wind was mostly gone so it felt downright balmy out there! It also meant we could run some spread and ho and actually play some REAL ultimate! We came up two points short in our first game, but we ran hard, made some sweet plays in the game and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our opponents were shocked that we were running them the way we were despite having only 8. (big props to Dr. Tabata!!)

This landed us in the B- Semis against Under-Achievers. Ne1l was pretty beaten up at this point, after ruling all weekend, but AMP was done for the day so Ferf and Alex came over to bolster our roster a bit. At this point, the weather was actually starting to turn Southern. Layers came off, shorts came out. Nice nice!

This game was a lot of fun. Plenty of nice plays for both teams, lots of hard running and we won! My consecutive points played streak was broken in this game, however, as I lost out on a last back call and sat 2 straight points. What? We have subs who actually want to play???!!!

Anyway, the workout was 2 more games of ultimate. Even though the number of games was halved, I'd bet we worked harder today than Saturday just because of the bad conditions.

Overall, this was a great tournament for me. I got to work on a lot of things as, over the course of the tournament, I got to fill just about every role at least once. My confidence in my throws is growing, my vision is improving, and I got tons of work on my one-on-one cutting in the center of the ho.

Furthermore, this was an excellent test for this new workout regimen I've adopted. It definitely works. I felt great all weekend. True, I had to pace myself at times, but come on! 3 subs over 6 games!! And I was able to go all out in the last game of the tourney and still felt fast and explosive. Paganello is gonna be awesome!!

1 comment:

dusty.rhodes said...

Love the enthusiasm! I had a great weekend too!

Great kickoff to the season, no matter the record.