Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gone Fishing

Jesse and I headed up towards Mount Vision, NY to scope out a new spot on the Otego Creek.  Despite fishing our way up and down the creek for 5 hours, we came away empty handed.  Still, nothing beats spending a day hiking a mountain stream.  Really, the fishing is more of an excuse to get out there.  After that, we stopped by Gilbert Lake to try our luck on the rainbows, but the brutal wind made our stay pretty brief.

The highlight of my day was that I took my first step towards my summer goal of learning to fly fish.  Jesse let me mess around with his fly rod for a while to try and get a feel for it.  The gusty wind and my lack of experience made it a little tricky, but it wasn't as hard as I thought.  Don't get me wrong, actually being a skilled and accurate caster with a knowledge of what flies to use and how and when to use them is an art form in and of itself, but just getting a fly out there on the water in the basic vicinity of where you were aiming wasn't too difficult, as long as you're not aiming more than 15 feet away.

Jesse lent me one of his dad's old rods and I found an old Pfluegger Medalist reel at the house, so my next step will be to clean up the reel, get some line and a leader on there, and start practicing!

No comments: