Monday, February 4, 2008

Jaeger Double-Blink 18-1 Track Workout

Snagged this workout from Mike Jaeger. Seems this was this week's West Coast Red Fish Workout.

3:53 run to the track (by track I mean crushed gravel warning track of the local ball field)
quick stretching

Tabata Runs:
8 x 20 seconds at ~85%, 10 seconds rest. I ran at about the line between an up-on-my toes sprint and a fast run with my heels contacting the ground. More toes at the beginning, more heels towards the end.

2:00 walking rest

Pick-up Sprints:

12 x jog 40 yards, sprint 40 yards.
I felt like I recovered well after the tabata run, and was able to power through the sprints the entire time - the last couple of sprints felt even faster than the first few.


1:00 walking rest
3:48 run back home

This workout served as a great early proof of concept for me. Up to this point, I've done very little of what I would consider normal cardio work (IE running) and have been focusing on bodyweight workouts. I've been feeling very strong from the bodyweight stuff, but I wasn't sure if they would help my lungs and speed.

I've always been of the mind that if you want to be able to run hard, you have to train by running hard. From what I've read, this isn't true. And, from my experience today, I'm starting to believe. Of course, there's a good chance this is all pent up energy being released from watching the G-Men win the Super Bowl!!!

My plan is to use Paganello as my testing ground for this new workout regimen. If my lungs and legs can hold up in the deep Rimini sand, then I'll know bodyweight is for real.

No comments: