Monday, July 28, 2008

Mercer A-League

Big Stick vs. Rutgers

Still a bit footsore from Wildwood and a bit tired from being up late to see Dark Knight (AWESOME!!!), I went down to Mercer for the last A-League game of the regular season. Too bad it takes me 2.5 hours to get there from work or I could've taken part in some skills work with Dusty. Man, I need to put a resumé together!

I spent a good amount of time warming up with plyos and active stretching before the game to work out some of the post-tourney soreness. During the game, I focused on getting behind my defender's momentum, trying to force him to fully commit to a course before I did, so that I could get more separation on my cuts.

Against higher level opponents, you aren't going to have an athletic or physical advantage so you need to find other ways to get the disc. If I can perfect this style of cutting, I'll be able to use my opponents' athleticism and aggression against them and essentially take away their ability to anticipate. Now, they're forced to react to my movements, and thus, to commit sooner than they would like. The final piece is being willing and able to take what is offered, something I've only recently started to fully achieve. Oh, and you need to be able to do all of this quickly or else you just end up squirreling up the cutting lane and confusing the hell out of the thrower.

OK, enough ego-babble... the game itself was fun. Even though Stick was able to jump out to an early lead which we maintained throughout, Rutgers has some young studs that make you work and a solid offense to see them to the end zone. Their lack of depth hurt them in the end, especially when compared with Stick's veteran roster, and Stick was able to cruise to a 15-8ish victory.

Workout:
quick run
active stretching & plyos
1 x summer league game

No comments: