Monday, August 11, 2008

MCUDL A League Finals, Game 1

Big Stick vs. Roots of Rhythm

Tonight marked game 1 of the best-of-3 and ended up being a rematch of last year's finals in which Big Stick came out victorious. Roots won both regular season match-ups and so come into the finals as the 1 seed. However, Big Stick has a winning tradition and a love for big games. Overall, I'd say the teams are pretty evenly matched. Big Stick has much more experience but a smaller roster compared to the young and athletic Roots of Rhythm who bring a full line-up of fire and intensity to every game (though tonight they were missing at least Ricky and Beaches).

Stick came out strong, scoring 2 straight, but Roots rallied to tie it up after I doinked a sweet huck from Walt off of my fingertips. The game went back and forth like that forth like that with Stick scoring 1 or 2 and Roots answering to tie. Stick came out strong in the second half and built a 12-9 lead. As is their trademark, Roots refused to die and, after a strategic timeout, they pulled their best Cool-hand Luke impression to roar back and tie the game up at 12s. At this point, Stick answered with a timeout of their own, regrouped, and stormed back onto the field to run off three straight and take the game 15-12.

At this point, I need to give props to Billy Kiefer and B-Lo on Stick and the Saul Brothers on Roots for raising the level and getting involved in nearly every success for their respective teams. And I gotta give some love to Mellen who ripped down a sweet huck in traffic at 13-12!

As for me, I played 'OK' but not great. My legs were definitely a bit leaden and I blame this on the number of Burpees the O-Team earned yesterday at practice. It was good practice for me though, since I had to rely on my set-ups to get open rather than simply overpowering people. I was able to get the disc pretty regularly, largely in part to the Roots' strategy of "back Dono by 15 yards," but my defense was sluggish and involved a lot of "being content to contain Noah as much as possible." Anyway, tomorrow's a much needed rest day, so we'll just have to see what Wednesday brings.

Workout:
Extended Warm-up
1 x MCUDLA A League Finals

No comments: