Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chesapeake Invite, Day 1

My initial thought after having completed my first club point in 2.5 years was, "WTF was I thinking?  No way I'm getting through two days of competition."  Thankfully, after the initial shock to the system, my body started to remember what this was all about.  The training I did in the last month definitely paid off, and while I'm not physically where I normally would be at late August, my base is solid.

The Ghosts were a missing a third of our roster for the Invite, which meant a lot of PT and a lot of much needed reps.  Apparently the team hadn't played together in two months, and so I wasn't the only one shaking the rust off, something that became apparent when we lost our very first game to a decent, but not spectacular, Bucket from Atlanta.  We started gelling a little better after that first game and beat Ant Madness relatively easily.  Next up was AMP, and after falling behind a bit early, we clawed back from 10-11 to win 13-11.  That set us up for a crossover with regional rivals Slow White.

We battled in this game, but the D had a lot of difficulty bringing pressure until the very end of the game and we fell 10-13.  Drat... no first round bye for us Sunday morning.

Somewhat mollifying was the spectacular crab dinner provided by Marika's parents at the family farm!  My crab eatin' skills needed some work, but by the end of the night, I was getting pretty good.


No comments: