Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Flying 30s - Overspeed

This morning, I headed over to the start of it all, Buccleuch Park, the site of my first-ever Pike tryout, to get in my last speed workout before Regionals. I gave special attention to my warm-ups and picked out a nice stretch of running trail that was relatively straight and had a slight but constant downgrade.

Warm-up:
8:32 run
Active Stretching
Sprint Preperation Plyos

Flying 30s (running slightly downhill for overspeed training)
3 x 30/30s:
Accelerate for 30 yards, stride for 30 yards. This is where I focus on form and on truly getting my muscles ready for full sprints.
3 x 30 yard sprint:
All-out 30 yard sprint with full recovery between each one.
3 x 60 yard sprint:
All-out 60 yard sprint with full recovery between each one.
3 x 90 yard sprint:
All-out 90 yard sprint with full recovery between each one.

I finished things up with a short run back to the car. This is, by far, my favorite workout. It's fun to run fast! And it's fun to be prepping for a tournament that means something.

As Tony might say, "I feel grrrrrrreat!"

No comments: