Sunday, June 29, 2008

Boston Invite, Day 2 (team thoughts)

Well, the 2008 Boston Invite was a rough one for Pike. We ended up going 1-6 on the weekend and I lost to several teams that I've never lost to before in my career. Statistically, things looked pretty bad. Still, there are many things for us to draw encouragement.

This was the first tournament at which we ran official O and D lines and I have to say, I was very impressed by the on-field chemistry. I think the the offense might actually be better this season than the last two. I'm not saying that 'cause I'm on it either. We've got some vets behind the disc and added a couple of new young studs to the line-up that have made an immediate positive impact and Art's returned as an absolute beast after another year of experience. There's a lot to be excited about here. We definitely have some strategic issues to iron out (hell, we haven't even talked about anything but the most basic strategies) and we need to be better at getting discs back after a turn and, more importantly, at maintaining our focus for the entire game.

I think the D had a rougher time as they were missing several starters this weekend. They did well at generating turnovers, but had a lot of trouble converting them. Missing two D handlers really hampered their disc movement, and missing two strong downfield cutters put even more pressure on the handlers. Even so, this meant younger guys saw more points and more responsibility at an early point in the season. That's something that never hurts a team.

As I said, going 1-6 was a huge disappointment, but somehow, I feel better about the team than I did at this time last year. Maybe it's because we were in every single game we lost (I don't think we scored less than 10 points) or maybe it's just more faith in the leadership ...

Today's workouts:
3 games of ultimate

No comments: