Sunday, May 4, 2008

LiveLogic Shootout, Day Two

Two late nights in a row really took their toll on me. While I felt OK physically, keeping my mental focus was a constant battle in which I did not fair well. My legs and lungs were there but I made more execution errors and poor decisions in two games than I have in some entire seasons - at least, that's how it felt.

I apparently wasn't alone in this regard as day two was a rough one for Pike. We looked sloppy and slow today and while we put together a few runs where we looked really good, we just couldn't maintain the team-level focus we needed to put in a complete game. As a result, we turned out two disappointing losses - one to the other half of Doublewide and one to Grit.

Total work:
2 games of ultimate
1 dip in my brother's pool

My goal this season is to earn myself a starting spot in the O rotation by, to quote Dusty, "[being] a f*@%ing terror when [I] get the disc, not just before [I] get the disc." I went into this weekend with the intention of cutting aggressively and getting the disc in my hands, not just in the end zone as per my normal MO, but in the heart of the field and then, making aggressive and smart throws. I made a conscious effort to attack the break side of the field, to throw goals, and those hit deep shots that need hittin'.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I definitely had more turn-overs than normal as I felt out my limitations and as my teammates adjusted to my new style of play. I gotta say, being more willing to cut both ways makes you so much harder to defend. I love trying to keep the defense guessing all game long and I love working hard to be an all-around pain in the ass to cover. I've got a lot more work to do in this regard, but the seeds of confidence are there.

No comments: