Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trouble in Vegas, Day 2

3 games of ultimate with the Pike 04 alumni team.

I'm not feeling particularly eloquent today, so this will be short and to the point. It was fun to get out on the field with some great players, both teammates and opponents, on real grass and with decent weather. Much of the old chemistry was still there, though I wonder how much of that is due to years playing together and how much is simply because if you put intelligent and experienced players on the field together, they will work together to do intelligent things. Either way, I enjoyed being able to focus on my own on-field role, confident that there were 6 other guys out there performing theirs.

2 comments:

dusty.rhodes said...

Interesting.

I had difficulty positively affecting the game, but easily fit into the team.

My personal largest issue was that i could not tell who was ready to receive a pass and who wasn't.

Familiarity does not age as well as Pikes.

(so... when does this become a non-practicing masters team?)

-89 said...

I had several instances this weekend that reminded me what I love about experienced teams. Playing zone O with Trey and being able to move defenders out of position with our spacing, getting the disc in motion and being able to throw to a cut that hasn't been made yet, or playing D from a stoppage and knowing who's got underneath and who's helping deep with just a few quick glances.

I imagine it's different for you because you have developed so much since most of those guys left. They came in only with memories of a rookie who didn't play much and weren't expecting to see marks broken and upwind hucks thrown. Most of them were probably expecting you to just dump it and sprint downfield into bowling alley cuts.

I think people started to get the idea on Sunday, but I can see how that would be very frustrating.

BTW, that huck to Monkey Man in the Colorado game was primo!