Thursday, January 15, 2009

Winter League

Mel, Vlad and I attended our first Winter League game tonight. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it was a lot of fun. The field isn't huge, but at 5 v 5, there's plenty of open space. I was also a bit concerned about play time (11 on the roster), but I think with the amount of running involved, most folks seemed perfectly happy.

For me, this looks to be a great opportunity to get out and run and cut hard. As I mentioned before, there is plenty of open space, especially as people start to drag towards the end of games. I found myself with a lot of room to improvise in the open field. This meshes perfectly with one of my main goals for the off-season: initiate cuts from motion at speed. Doing this successfully, allows me to force a commitment out of my defender. If I can recognize what he's committed to defending fast enough, I can exploit it. If I can consistently force him to commit to what I want, I can exploit it. If he doesn't commit or doesn't commit quickly enough, I can exploit that too by blowing past him. If he can consistently cover me, at speed, for an entire point, I exploit that by recruiting him to play for Pike.

No comments: