Thursday, January 29, 2009

Winter League

Ouch, 10:30 pm start time. That's way past my bedtime!

Tonight was a bit more fun for me (and that's what counts in my book!). There were fewer folks in attendance and I was more assertive as far as getting myself on the field. More playtime always makes me happy. The team still has some chemistry issues, but we were able to keep the game reasonably close and tonight the points were at least long enough for me to get some work in. In the end, Glenn Poole's Marauders proved too much for us to handle.

My focus continues to be on cutting from motion which basically means that while we're on offense, I'm always jogging around, changing speed, altering direction, and generally trying to be a big pain in the ass for my defender. Since I'm the one initiating the motion, keeping pace isn't much of an issue.

I'm not running particularly hard most of the time and I create separation with changes of direction mostly, which means I can keep this up all game. As a defender, however, covering this type of cutting is exhausting. You are constantly forced re-triangulate, make up for lost ground, and react to what I'm doing. It's all about tipping the scales in your favor.

No comments: